Friday, March 26, 2010

Oceania Snooker Championship

I had a great week in Sydney. Very inconsistent in my snooker, but all ended up well. Here's my week in review:

SAT 20th March

Drive up to Sydney. I left my home like 2pm. About 7 pm, I reached a place called Gundagai. I drove into a KFC, had dinner over there. At the same time I had my laptop ready. Master Buck had sent me numerous SMS. Nothing much, nothing special. Every message had the same word. "SEND! SEND! SEND!" I sent him his relief fund. Drove for another 3 hours or so. Reached Goldboun, and stayed overnight in a motel there.

SUN 21th March

Up and driving about 12pm. About 200km away from Sydney, caught speeding 135km/h in a 110 km/h zone. $375 fine, thank you very much. Checked into my hotel in the avro. The 6 red comp starts tonight, first match against S.Budd. I lost 3-0, than played Hassan, start potting a bit but still lost 3-1. The table conditions were pretty ordinary. Not quick, re-stretched cloths, big buckets with a lot of drift. The condition doesn't suit me at all.

MON 22nd March

Had lunch with Grandma, then played Mark Jackson in the 6 red comp at night. Lost 3-2, final frame, he fluked the pink and won the match. Then played Jaydon in a dead rubber. Lost 3-2 again. So played 4, lost 4. Nothing to be proud of. I didn't adjust to the condition and struggle big time.

TUE 23rd March

Had lunch with grandma again. We went to Chinatown, and I got lost in Sydney CBD. Paid about $20 in toll charge, site seeing a bit. Nothing special.

WED 24th March

Woke up in the morning and my right foot was hurting. Got biten by some insects, either ant or spider. Played my first match against Roger Dalitz, he left me plenty of chances. Scrappy 1st frame, and make a 40+ and a 30+ in second frame. Won 2-0. Then played D.Fong, the PNG champ in my next match. That guy is a freak, pots everything from everywhere with no position. My game still struggling, couldn't make any breaks, lost 2-0 pretty standard.

After the match, I went straight to the doctor as my foot was killing me. Swollen another foot size. Took medicines and went back to hotel. Another early night for me.

THUR 25th March

Now my foot felt a bit better. Still hurt a bit, but not as bad as Wednesday. First match vs Uncle Glen, no chance, what so ever. So lost 2-0. Than I played Ali G in my next match. I need to win that match in order to qualify. So sick about my performance, chances everywhere. My highest break in the match was 13. Lost 2-0, I felt snooker is some kind of punishment. I want to snap my cue in halves. Mr.Invincible was there watching a WA chick in action. Obviously something behind the scene. For the first time this year, I told him I need a beer. I skull a bottle within 5 min. Went passed Adam Wyard, the tournament director, I told him I will forfeit my last match against the Dunk. Went back to Mr.Invincible with another bottle. All of the sudden they called my name. I decided not to play, but Mr. Invincible insisted I must play or no Yum Cha winning will be received. OK! I skull another beer and play.

All of the sudden, I were half drunk, but start potting. I played on a better table. A lot quicker, and the cloth has less drift and a lot more grab. I played in my lightning pace. I bit scrappy in the first frame, but had the frame under control even i were behind. I won it on the pink. Then in the second frame, Stu Dunk made a nice 48. With 4 reds remaining, about 50 points behind, I potted a good red, got position and clear up within 5 min. WOW! I didn't expect this would happen. With some results going my way, I might sneak into the last 32.

FRI March 26th

I need to win my match against Austin Power. Either Ali G or Fong need to lose both of their matches, then I will sneak in. They played each other in the first match. Fong won comfortably 2-0. Up next Ali G had to beat Uncle Glen, if he lose, I will be in. Scrappy 1st frame and Uncle Glen won on the black after a fluke pink. Uncle Glen ran away in 2nd frame and I qualify 4th in my group. After the draw, I played Smoking Joe Minici in the last 32.

In the first 2 frames, I struggle again. Joe was smoking and he took a 2-0 lead. In the 3rd, I finally pot something and my shakes had calm down a lot. I played in a quick pace and won the next 2 frames without any trouble. So 2-2, and final frame. We both had a couple chances but under pressure, we didn't score much. With 3 reds remaining, I were like 12 points in front. Joe left me a red over the middle pocket. Pink was on the spot, the other 2 reds were under the pink but touching each other, forming a little triangle. When I went down for the easiest shot in the world, some idiot walked in front of me. I twitched, the red still went in but now I left with no position on any colour. I played a pretty good safety shot but Joe fluked the red. Although he didn't clear up but he was in control. I went down 3-2.

I don't like the format, best of 3 round robin stage is a joke. They shouldn't put the Billiards and Snooker together. I hate the 6 red comp, it plays like pool. The table condition is horrible, hard to play on an old cloth with no grab. Somehow MVP had different idea. He reckons the tables are tight, but everyone thinks they are buckets. I am not going to argue with the MVP, as he has infinite knowledge in this game with a couple of lineup 147 under his belt. After struggling early, I came back strongly in my last 3 matches. Losing 3-2 to Joe certainly not a shame. Not too disappointed losing the match that way. I had my chances but didn't fully capitalize it. My half of the draw was good. Now Joe will play Ricky Emery in the last 16, then either Kurt Brown or Paul Blazer in the QF. If I play well, I have a good chance beating them. Can't expect too much as I almost concede my match against the Dunk not too long ago. Looking forward for more snooker, as well as Sunday night Sook tag team Event at the Pond with the Master. More update later.

No comments:

Post a Comment